Friday, March 18, 2011

Gerard Clarke's Anti Saint Patricks's Day

Make no mistakes about the title of this post. I am not opposed to St. Patrick's Day festivities. While I'm far from Irish I, and apparently everybody else, finds that to be completely besides the point. For most people St. Patrick's is an excuse for drunkenness. My St. Patrick's on 2010 consisted of that same behavior. My 2011 consisted of track and field practice and...severe shin splints. Sacrifices all toward the eventual end of qualifying for National Championships in Trinidad have been rampant for me this year. Unfortunately, I fear there is a new obstacle in my way in the form of one or more stress fractures on my lower legs. More than anything in the world I hope I'm wrong but I've had shin splints before and I'd order an extra side of those before I ever again had a dream about the pain I've been experiencing lately.

In short the internet terminology for this situation, that I can think of, is "SMH." I can only imagine that it would be followed by some kind of emoticon with a tear somehow involved in it. Anyway. I have two races in Atlanta this weekend before I organize to see a doctor. So in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day (which is a spirit I know absolutely nothing about but would St. Patrick cared about me) here's to hoping I run well this weekend and that my tibia hasn't started to crack and chip into smaller pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment